Hi, I'm Carl, a 25 year old Computer Science graduate from Halesowen, West Midlands.
I have a passion for technology, with interests including programming, circuit design, and electronic repairs. I am an avid Linux user with a decade of experience, having used various distributions through this period. I currently use Gentoo, with the GNOME desktop (though for me, nothing beats Unity).
I graduated from the University of Warwick in the summer of 2016, receiving a BSc Honours degree. The University of Warwick is part of the Russell Group, an elite group of the top Universities in the UK. It is consistently ranked in the top 10 UK universities by The Guardian, and is the top ranked University in the West Midlands. During my time at Warwick, I completed a 6 week summer placement at a large computer software company, with a focus on improving efficiency in the workplace.
In my free time, I use my programming knowledge to create applications designed initially for my own usage. Such applications include a lightweight blogging platform (which on completion, will be used on this website), and a finance tracking application, to keep track of a variety of financial information on one central dashboard. Work currently completed on the finance app can be found on Github (the blogging platform will follow at some point).
In addition, I enjoy repairing and modding electronic devices. I can often be found with a soldering iron in one hand and a multimeter in the other, tinkering with a broken item bought on ebay 😃.
Outside of technology, I am a big fan of motorsports, in particular Formula 1, WRC and the BTCC.
Examples of my work can be found on the 'My Work' page. Links to specific pieces of work can also be found on this page where appropriate. Also, be sure to check out my blog, and the projects I have done in my free time.
A copy of my CV is available to download here.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving data held on the company's ERP systems.
- Extensive usage of LibreOffice/Microsoft Office for data management.
- Writing and maintaining SQL scripts, VB macros and other software used to streamline data management processes.
- Assisting in the design and structure of the database used to hold product information, containing over 2 million entries.
- Performed a variety of tasks, including operating production line machinery, palleting products ready for transporting, and ensuring a clean and safe workplace.
- Required good communication with colleagues and a solid understanding of health and safety procedures.
- Bachelor of Science with Honours.
- Dissertation based on IoT networking, using Java, C and SQL. (More info)
- Award winning second year group project for Deutsche Bank. (More info)
- Invited onto the University Scholarship programme due to academic achievement, benefitting from a close relationship with a successful Warwick graduate.
- 4 A*-C A-Levels.
- A* in ICT, A grade in every module. First student in Sandwell Academy history to achieve this.
- 17 A*-B GCSEs including 7 A* and 7 A grades
- Highlights include A*s in Maths, ICT and Science.
- Obtained an A* in History with a score of 398/400, the highest GCSE score ever achieved at Sandwell Academy.
- Took part in a variety of activities, looking in depth at various human tissues.
- Watched lab tests undertaken on mice, gaining an understanding of the role of animal testing.
- Assisted in organising the YMCAs annual 'Sleep Easy' event.
- Called local schools to create new links with the YMCA.
- Gained an insight into the process of ordering and managing stock.
- Looked into accountancy and the importance of correct book keeping to a business.
- Prize winning University Second Year Project for Deutsche Bank (2015)
- Sandwell Academy Community Service Award 2012
- Sandwell Academy Key Stage 3 Student of the Year 2007
- Highfields Primary School Excellence In Maths 2006
- Chosen to represent Sandwell Academy at the 'Lord Mayor's Mega Quiz' in 2012, held at the University of Birmingham and hosted by 'The Chase' expert Mark Labbett.
- Was part of the University of Warwick's GOAL (now UniTracks) and IGGY programmes, participating in several events including a 6 week e-mentoring course at the University of Oxford.
- Also took part in a week long science course at the University of Oxford, gaining an in-depth insight into the scientific research undertaken.
- Featured in the local Express and Star newspaper due to outstanding GCSE grades.
- Appeared on BBC Midlands Today in 2007, to mark the official opening of Sandwell Academy. Footage is available on YouTube.